Ibiza – Top 10 Day Trip Activities
The Island of Ibiza is located some 80km from Spain, in the sparkling Mediterranean Sea. It is the third largest of the Balearic Islands, and quite possibly the liveliest! Ibiza has hundreds of dance music clubs that are universally renowned but its important to remember that Ibiza is not just about clubbing.
In order to help you enjoy the best of Ibiza, we have put together a list of the top 10 day trips that you can enjoy throughout your stay on the island, read on for more and whet that appetite for this sun kissed island…
1. Make sure to enjoy the charming cobbled streets of Ibiza Town. The Old Town, which is surrounded by walls dates from the 16th century. It is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The narrow streets, watchtowers and castle are well worth exploring. You can enjoy a trip to the busy harbour, the craft markets and cross the ancient drawbridge to the old quarter. One of the many jewels in the crown of the old town is the Santa Maria Cathedral, which dates from the 13th century. Find out more about Ibiza Town.
2. One day trip excursion that you must take from Ibiza is a trip over to Ibiza’s sister island Formentara. Located about an hour from Ibiza by boat, you can get a boat from Ibiza Town to the Island. With its quiet shoreline and wonderful countryside, this beautiful island has majestic beaches that are unmatched. Hire a bicycle or even a moped to tour this terrific place. Wander around the small capital city San Francesc before you relax at the beach! Find out more about Formentara.
3. Enjoy a days shopping: If shopping is your poison, then you’ll find that you will bring much more than a sun tan back from Ibiza! You can purchase some wonderful jewellery, leather, designer goods and clothes that are handmade here. There are some great markets and shops located on the island, but the most astute purchases can be secured at the renowned hippy markets of Es Cana near San Eulalia and San Carlo or you can enjoy Ibiza Town’s hip boutique stores.
4. Take a trip to Es Broll. As you are driving through the heart of the island, through Santa Gertrudis towards Santa Agnes, take the left hand road that leads to Es Broll. Es Broll is a wonderful freshwater spring. The scenery here is majestic, with olive groves around you. You will be confronted with Ibiza’s Moorish past when you see the irrigation holes where the spring water flows through. Find out more about Es Broll Ibiza.
5. Take a waterboat excursion to Es Vedra. Es Vedra is regarded as one of Ibiza’s Icons – and you may have heard of the magnetic forces and UFO’s that are supposedly attracted to this solitary islet, which is positioned on Ibiza’s southwestern coastline. You can hire a motorboat from Cala d’Hort beach and appreciate the beauty of the rock island of Es Vedra Ibiza which is regarded by many to be the tip of the ancient civilization of Atlantis.
6. Enjoy a wine tasting day trip at Bodegas Car Rich and you can enjoy some wonderful wine. Mondays tend to be the open day for the winery but you can arrange a tour of this 20-hectare site, enjoy wine tasting, and learn all about the techniques used to produce the wonderful wine produced here.
7. Take a tour of Ibiza’s Northern Coast – You will appreciate the beauty of San Mateo which is a wonderful village in the north of the island which is surrounded by majestic mountain ranges, which lead to rugged cliffs which give stunning views of the Mediterranean Sea. Further to the north is Santa Agnes, which has escaped the mass tourism of the island, and the views of the almond trees nested into the mountain and cliff ranges is truly spectacular.
8. The younger members of the family will really enjoy a day trip to Aguamar, the biggest water park on Ibiza, with its impressive slides and activities. It is just a short 15-minute trip from Ibiza Town. Another popular water park is Aqualandia at Talamanca. Find out more about Family Activities in Ibiza.
9. Can Marca Caves Day Trip – The Can Marca caves and the accompanying beach at Puerto de San Miguel are well worth exploring. The Caves are located to the north of Ibiza. You will be amazed at the beauty of the caves, with their stunning views. The beach at San Miguel has deep clear water and golden sand. The beach is lined with pine trees which are perfect for walking. You can hire pedaloes here and enjoy a wide variety of watersports. San Miguel is well sign posted and easily reached by car.
10. Enjoy a scenic land train trip from San Antonio Bay Resort. You will reach the “Real Ibiza” as you take this 8 miles trip to the beautiful hillside village of Santa Ines. Marvel at the olive groves and orange trees, and maybe pick some fruit as your train journey takes you through the plentiful orchards.
So there you have it – a brief guide to what we regard as the top 10 day trip activities in Ibiza! In order to get to and enjoy these activities you will need to rent a car so check out our Car Hire Ibiza page.
Have you been to Ibiza and enjoyed some of the above activities? What did you think of them? Do you know of more that we could have included in the list? If you have any travel advice as to what to see and do on this wonderful island please let us know – we appreciate your comments.