10 Fun Filled Family Activities In The Lake District
The Lake District is located in the Cumbria region of the UK and contains some of the most magical tourist attractions. Dotted with villages of charm and character, against the backdrop of stunning mountain ranges, this area has enchanted and gave inspiration to many poets and writers like William Wordsworth and Beatrix Potter over the years – why not let the area inspire you!
The Lake District is a rewarding destination for adults and children alike, so we have put together a list of fun filled family activities that you can all enjoy! Read on for more…
· Visit the World in Miniature Museum and be enthralled with what you might find! Browse through the 50 plus rooms in the museum and discover the library, dining room and the theatre! The Museum is home to the world’s smallest teddy beat and also has a magical wizard’s tower that the kids will love! The Museum is located in Carlisle, and to get there take the 44 junction from the M6, the museum is signposted and approximately 1 mile down the A689.
· Enjoy Greystoke Castle Estate which is located 7 miles north of Ullswater. The Centre offers wonderful family activities for children over 12 years of age, from biking on quads, clay pigeon shooting, archery and fishing. Not only that, the centre offers development training for children to improve their motivation, self-confidence and personal development skills! It’s important to book well in advance a session at Greystoke Castle!
· Take a trip to Brockhole Visitor Centre – The centre is located between Windermere and Ambleside just off the A591. The kids will love the famous adventure playground and the stunning open spaces of the gardens. The walks to the lakeshore from the vistor centre are superb. With 30 acres to explore, there is so much to see and do! Children under 7 can enjoy tours to learn all about wildlife in the Lake District.
They can also take the Letter Search Trail, which lets children have lots of fun while searching for letters hidden in the gardens, and all the time learning about the Lake District. The centre also has two floors of interactive activities that the children will enjoy!
· Experience Equestrian and Outdoor Activities. Take in a trip to Rookin House which is located in Troutbeck, just 4 miles from Ullswater and offers lots of activities for adults and children alike from horse riding to quads and go karting!
· Visit the Cumberland Pencil Museum at Keswick, the home of the very first pencil! At the museum you will visit a recreation of the Seathwaite Mine, the place of discovery of graphite. The kids will be fascinated by pencil making history, will see the world’s largest pencil, take part in the after exhibition quiz and then be able to express their creativity at the “Drawing Zone”!
· Get outdoors and appreciate the beauty of the Lake District. The countless lakes, stunning mountain scenery make the area a perfect place to ramble, discover and explore! A visit to the 10-mile long Lake Windermere (which inspired the famous poet Wordsworth), and the plentiful forests (Dodd Wood and Warriners Wood) make the area a perfect place for family picnics and wildlife discoveries! The Waterfalls and the Cumbrian Coast are other wonderful places to visit, where the cliffs of sandstone meet the sand dunes and the waves come rolling in.
· Visit Grizedale Go Ape. The kids can literally “go ape” at this centre, and swing like monkeys across the rope bridges, take the Tarzan swings and slides, which are all set about the floors of the forest! Grizedale is located 12 miles from Windermere so follow the A590 from Barrow.
· Experience Eden Ostrich World which is located in the scenic village of Langwathby, 5 miles to the east of Penrith. So many animals are housed here, the kids will absolutely love it. From the rare breeds of cattle and pigs to the black African Ostriches, there is something for everyone here. Not only can you enjoy the wonderful animals, there are adventure and play areas, a giant maze, picnic areas and a wonderful arts and crafts centre.
· Take in a tour of The World of Beatrix Potter Centre. This is a superb place for the kids to fuel their imaginations! This attraction is located at the centre of Bowness-on-Windermere and just off Lake Road. A visit to the centre is truly a magical experience for the younger members of the family. All of the 23 “Peter Rabbit” tales are transformed to life in 3D effect. There are plenty of games and activities to be enjoyed at the centre by all the family. Learn all about the life of Beatrix Potter and the characters of the famous tales!
· Visit Honister Slate Mine and be fascinated by the last working slate mine in the UK. All the family will enjoy the guided mine tours, and browsing through the visitor centre. The caverns are majestic and you will step back in time to see how the Victorian miners worked their tools by hand in candlelight! To get there, after Keswick drive on the B5289 for around 10 miles.
Remember that there are many more family friendly activities in this stunning region. Find out more about Cumbria’s Lake District.
Thinking of travelling to the Lake District this year? You will need a car to discover the region, so why not book Cheap Car Hire UK.
Been to the Lake District? Have you availed of the fun packed family activities that we have listed? Would you like to add any more family friendly attractions and activities to our list? Feel free to do so – we welcome your comments!