Discover The Top Resorts of Cyprus
The exotic Eastern Mediterranean Island of Cyprus is a paradise for tourists – with attractions dating from ancient times, from the Greek, Roman and Byzantine ages, and sun drenched beaches that are hard to keep away from! The island is home to some of the most wonderful resorts and beaches you will ever come across – so be forewarned – a week’s vacation in Cyprus is never enough!
Read on for more about our guide to Cyprus’s very best beach resorts…
Cyprus Resorts and Beaches
The following are the main beaches and resorts of Cyprus:
· Ayia Napa – well known as the biggest resort in Cyprus. If you are looking for vibrant nightlife, then this is the place for you! The golden sands and the light blue waters offer hedonistic pleasures from simply relaxing on the beaches to thrilling watersports. The main beaches in Ayia Napa are Nissi Beach, Makronissos Beach, and around the area include Kermia, Katsarka, Ammos tou Kambouri, Vathia Gonia and Ayia Thekla. Traditionally Ayia Napa has been the place if you wanted to party, but it is now recognised as a family destination also. The presence of the local Waterworld Waterpark is testimony to this!
· Paphos - Located on the west coast of Cyprus, and home to the second airport in Cyprus. Paphos is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in Cyprus, and perhaps the most famous beach of all is Petra tou Romiou, the birthplace of Aphrodite, located 25km east of Cyprus. This is a popular destination where people get married. Agios Georgos Beach, Pharos Lighthouse Beach, Latsi Beach & Fishing Village and Coral Beach are perfect beaches to enjoy a sun soaked holiday. Aphrodite Waterpark is a great place for families to spend the day.
· Protaras – This is a prominent holiday resort located to the south east of Cyprus. All of the resorts in the Protaras region have great facilities and feature plenty of hotels and restaurants. Most popular beaches here include Fig Tree Bay, Sirena Bay, Konnon Bay and the beaches in the Paralimni area.
· Larnaca – The main Cypriot airport (Larnaca International Airport) is located here – and many of the beaches in Larnaca are perfect for families. Finikoudes Beach is a perfect family destination due to the shallow waters. McKenzie and Kiti beaches are the other places to go here. Voroklini Resort outside Larnaca is another place to check out.
· Limassol – The beaches are easily accessed here to the centre of the town. The tourism seafront stretches for over 15km so you are guaranteed a top quality beach! 4km west of Limassol is Ladies Mile Beach, a popular family resort. Some of the other blue flag beaches are Pissouri, Santa Barbara, Kourium Beach and Cape Aspro (near Aphrodite’s Rock). Fasouri Watermania is perfect for a family out. The nearby location of Lemesos has some wonderful beaches also, including Governor’s Beach which offers great watersports opportunities.
· The Akamas Peninsula – A UNESCO protected area, this is historically known as Aphrodite’s Territory. The region is home to some wonderful plant species, mammals, reptiles and birdlife. Take the Aphrodite and Adonis Trails and learn more about the wonderful history. The main resort along here is Lara Bay – which sometimes goes by its name of Turtle Beach. Here you can see the endangered Green Turtle species lay their eggs.
Hope you enjoyed our guide to the top resorts of Cyprus. All of the resorts are equipped with excellent tourist facilities so enjoy yourself! Remember the best way to savour this island paradise is to avail of a top quality rental car and explore at your leisure. So, for the best deals in car hire, check out our Car Hire Cyprus page.
Have you been to Cyprus? What resort did you stay in and what were your thoughts on it? If you have any Cyprus driving tips that your fellow readers should be aware of please let us know. We appreciate your comments!