Driving Rules & Regulations in Iceland
Renting a car in Iceland means you can reach unforgettable places you might never see otherwise. Discovering Iceland by rental car will create wonderful, lasting memories of an Arctic jewel with hidden sparkles around every glacier and lagoon. Before you embark on your Icelandic car hire adventure, however, take note of the following driving rules and regulations:
- Drive on the right side of the road and overtake on the left.
- The speed limit is usually 30-50 km/hour in populated areas, 80 km/hour on gravel roads in rural areas, and 90 km/hour on paved roads.
- You are prohibited from driving after consuming alcohol or drugs. The minimum sanction for a first offense is a fine and removal of your driving licence for four months.
- You must wear a seatbelt, whether you are a driver or a passenger.
- Older children must wear seatbelts, and younger children and infants must be secured in age-appropriate child seats.
- Car headlights must be illuminated at all times.
- The use of mobile phones whilst driving is illegal.